The Epic of Gilgamesh
Available on back-orderCompare
This Norton Critical Edition includes:
- An expanded translation from the Akkadian by Benjamin R. Foster based on new discoveries, adding lines throughout the world’s oldest epic masterpiece.
- Benjamin R. Foster’s full introduction and expanded explanatory annotations.
- Eleven illustrations.
- Analogues from the Sumerian and Hittite narrative traditions along with “The Gilgamesh Letter,” a parody of the epic enjoyed by Mesopotamian schoolchildren during the first millennium BCE.
- Essays by Thorkild Jacobsen, William L. Moran, Susan Ackerman, and Andrew R. George, and a poem by Hillary Major.
- A Glossary of Proper Names and a Selected Bibliography.
About the Author
Benjamin R. Foster is Professor of Assyriology at Yale University, where he has taught since 1975. His books include Before the Muses: An Anthology of Akkadian Literature, From Distant Days: Myths, Tales, and Poetry of Ancient Mesopotamia, Sargonic Tablets from Telloh in the Istanbul Archaeological Museum, and Administration and Use of Institutional Land in Sargonic Sumer, and Umma in the Sargonic Period.
|Dimensions||213 × 132 × 18 mm|
Foster, Benjamin R., (Editor)
W. W. Norton & Company (2019), Edition: Second, 272 pages