It has been five hundred years since Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses to the door of the All Saints’ Church in Wittenberg, Germany. Luther’s theses called for the reform of the church and served as the catalyst for the Protestant Reformation. Its impact is still felt today.
This Bible study examines the five core truths that came from the Reformation, now referred to as the solas. Group members will explore these essential convictions of the faith and emerge more immersed in the gospel of Jesus Christ. The solas include:
Sola Scriptura (by Scripture alone)
Sola gratia (by grace alone)
Sola fide (through faith alone)
Solus Christus (through Christ alone)
Soli Deo gloria (glory to God alone)
How is the Reformation still relevant today? As political pressure mounts, morality drifts with today’s culture, and evangelicalism becomes more and more refined in a post-Christian world, it’s even more important to hold the convictions of the great Reformation closer than ever. In short, the solas point us to vibrant Christian community as well as personal identity in Christ.
As you’ll see in this study, the solas are more than cold Latin terms that academics throw around in church-history books. The five solas, like the Reformation itself, are intensely practical. They were the DNA of the Reformation and are still the DNA of the church today. They are grounded in a real-life, everyday following of Jesus. They’re the most important, basic scriptural truths you can ever believe.
We stand on the shoulders of Christians in the past, and knowing where we came from will help us keep moving forward with passion and biblical clarity.
Echoes of the Reformation Leader Kit contains a Bible Study Book and 1 DVD with a promotional video and six 15- to 20-minute video sessions featuring authors Kevin DeYoung, Al Mohler, and Trevin Wax. These panel discussions introduce the topic, overview historical significance, explore the theological meanings of the solas, and include illustrations for applying these key transformative truths.
• Videos featuring authors Kevin DeYoung, Al Mohler, and Trevin Wax
• Biblically rooted and gospel-centered content
• Six small-group sessions that include an introductory session and application of the five solas
• Individual study opportunities for ongoing spiritual growth
• Six-session Bible Study Book with group and personal components
• Promotional content, including video
• Social-media assets for the group leader
• Give group members a better understanding of the Reformation’s impact on today’s church.
• Understand the weighty importance of the inspired Word of God.
• Help group members discern the theological nuances of grace and its role in the life of a disciple.
• Enhance a believer’s understanding of the biblical and historical depth of the Christian faith.
• Realize that Christ alone provides all life’s answers.
• Show group members how to live life for the glory of God and renew their commitment to this biblical mandate.